Nursing home > Recommended Databases
Begin by reading the descriptions for the "primary" databases listed below to find the database which seems to include the type of information you are seeking. To gather all the information you need though, you may need to search several databases from the primary list. Databases are available to current Webster faculty, staff, and students.
indicates database may offer complete or selected full text
- This EBSCO database lists materials on all areas of nursing, allied health, biomedical, and consumer health. It includes nearly 800 journals including publications of the American Nurses Association and the National League for Nursing. Allied health field covered include emergency services, lab technology, occupational and physical therapy
Other key databases for nursing:
- Cochrane Controlled Trials Register
- Controlled Trials Register, one component of the Cochrane Databases, is a bibliography of controlled trials compiled as part of an international effort to provide systematic reviews. Information is culled from MEDLINE, conference proceedings, and other sources. Database is updated quarterly.
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)
- This is a full-text database of healthcare articles and protocols analyzed from an evidence-based medicine perspective to provide data with minimal bias. Reviews must meet the Cochrane Group quality standards. Database is updated quarterly.
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effectiveness
- An international database of abstracts of published systematic reviews on the effects of health care, these reviews have been critically analyzed by the NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination at the University of York, England. DARE abstracts include a description of the systematic reviews methodology, results and conclusions. Part of the Cochrane Library.
- Produced by the National Library of Medicine and covering all areas of medicine, the database indexes 3,500+ journals published internationally. Subjects include clinical medicine, dentistry, education, experimental medicine, health services administration, nursing, nutrition, pathology, psychiatry, toxicology, and veterinary medicine. Bibliographic records cover 1965 to present. Most records from 1975 to the present include abstracts.
- MICROMEDEX Healthcare Series
- This database is a wide range of clinical databases, including unbiased, referenced information about drugs, toxicology, diseases, acute care, and alternative medicine.
It's also a good idea to analyze your research topic closely to see if other library databases can provide additional research information. This is often the case with interdisciplinary topics, which span many subject areas. For example, if you're studying the personality types of employees who make better nurse managers, try ABI/Inform, a business and management database.
- ABI/Inform Complete
- This ProQuest database database indexes and provides abstracts for articles from almost 1600 leading business and management publications, including over 350 English-language titles from outside the U.S. The full-text or complete articles are available from more than 800 periodical titles. A list of the journals covered by this database can be found at http://proquest.com/tls/servlet/ListForward?productID=549&productName=ABI%2FINFORM+Complete&format=formatHTML&IDString=549&all=all&lh_opt=lh_all
- America: History and Life
- This database focuses on the history of the United States and Canada from early times to present day. It can be an excellent source of historical nursing and medical research. Lists articles from journals published worldwide as well as book and media reviews and dissertations. Covers literature published from 1964 to present.
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials (formerly ATLAS)
- This Ebscohost database covers periodicals, multi-author works, and book reviews in all areas of religion, church history, theology, and pastoral counseling. Coverage from 1949 to present. A list of the journals covered by this database is available at http://www.atla.com/products/titles/titles_atlas.html.
- This Ebscohost database from the Educational Resource Information Center combines coverage of Resources in Education (RIE) and Journals in Education (CIJE) to provide access to journal articles and ERIC documents. All aspects of education are covered in this database. Covers 1966 to the present. The Webster-Eden Library has ERIC Documents on microfiche with numbers from ED348466 to ED483046. Some ERIC documents are available full-text from the U.S. Department of Education website. ERIC also connects to another database to provide full-text for selected articles.
- Family and Society Studies Worldwide
- A comprehensive index to the literature on marriage and the family, parenting, gender issues, sexuality and reproduction, etc. It includes records from the Inventory of Marriage and Family Literature and the Australian Family and Society Abstracts. Coverage from 1970-present.
- This EBSCO databse lists materials on all areas of psychology and related fields. It is produced by the American Psychological Association and covers from 1887 to the present. Indexes over 1300 journals, as well as selected dissertations and books.