Recommended Databases for Finding Articles
Business & Management home > Recommended Databases
- Business & Management Article Databases--Start most searches here!
- Additional Specialized & General Article Databases
- Finding Special Types of Business Information and Data
These business databases are usually the first place to start when you are seeking articles on almost any business, finance, human resources, or management topic. These databases index thousands of business and management periodicals.
While there is some overlap in the magazines, trade publications, and journals which these databases cover, you may find it helpful to search several of these primary databases. This is often the case with interdisciplinary, research topics, which span several subject areas. For example, if you are studying the personality types of employees who make better managers, begin your search in Business Source Premier, a general business and management database, but try PsycInfo, a psychology database, as well.
Note: Access to the online subscription databases listed throughout this document is limited to currently registered students, faculty, and staff of Webster University. Complete lists of the business and management databases available through the library's Web site, are available by following the link to Articles/Databases on the home page.
- ABI/Inform Complete
- This well known database from Bell & Howell Proquest indexes articles from almost 1600 leading business and management publications, including over 350 English-language titles from outside the U.S. The full-text or complete articles are available from more than 800 periodical titles. ABI/Inform Complete combines coverage from three sources: ABI/Inform Global, Dateline, and Trade & Industry and it indexes and links to text-based articles from the Wall Street Journal.
- Business Insights: Essentials (formerly Business and Company Resource Center)
- This database from Thompson Gale provides company and industry profiles, financial information, numerous full-text articles and investment reports. Users can search by various criteria, including company, industry or personal name, ticker symbol, geographic region, subject, and SIC/NAICS code. Note: to search for articles using a combination of keywords or phrases, click the link for "Advanced Search".
- Business Source Premier
- This EbscoHost database offers indexing and abstracts for over 2,680 business periodicals with coverage including over 800 peer-reviewed titles. Full-text is available for nearly 2,140 business journals covering management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, marketing and more. Full-text coverage begins in 1990 for many periodicals, but retrospective coverage for about 50 seminal journals, including the Academy of Management Journal and The Harvard Business Review, begin with the first issue.
- This EBSCO database lists materials on all areas of psychology and related fields, and is particularly good for finding articles on human behavior and motivations helpful in business, management, marketing, etc. It is produced by the American Psychological Association and indexes from 1887 to the present, with coverage of over 1700 journals, as well as selected dissertations and books. PsycInfo connects to a number of other sources to provide full-text for selected journals and books.
For many topics, you may select a subject database depending on the focus of your topic. For most business or management topics, begin with ABI/Inform, Business & Company Resource Center, or Business Source Premier. If your topic concerns a psychological aspect of business, such as consumer buying behavior, employee motivation, leadership, group or organizational behavior, a good choice is PsycInfo, a database that indexes hundreds of psychology journals.
If you are interested in additional information from more-focused disciplines, for example training or learning issues as they apply to the workforce, you may try ERIC a specialized database which covers the educational literature.
Specialized Business & Management Article Databases
Listed below are some of the Library's databases which contain articles on more specialized or focused business and management topics. We suggest that you search one or more of these in addition to the primary databases listed above.
- CCH IntelliConnect (Formerly CCH Research Network.)
- Provides current news, practices, guidelines, cases, laws, and regulations regarding human resource management, employment and health law, occupational safety, pension, payroll, benefits, etc. from CCH.
- Emerald Fulltext
- Contains articles from over 100 management and library and information science journals, complete with full text archives back to 1994. Covers subjects including strategy, leadership, information management, marketing and human resource management.
- This Ebscohost database from the Educational Resource Information Center combines coverage of Resources in Education (RIE) and Journals in Education (CIJE) to provide access to materials on all aspects of education, learning and training. The database covers from 1966 to the present with many of the more recent materials available in full-text.
- Regional Business News
- Covers over 70 business journals, newspapers and newswires from U.S. urban and rural areas.
- Wall Street Journal
- Provides the full-text of articles (no financial tables) from the Eastern edition of the newspaper from 1984 to the present. Note: As of 2007 the Wall Street Journal is no longer a separate database. This link provides a publication search of the WSJ via the ABI/Inform Complete database.
General Article Databases
For a complete list of all our databases, visit our Alphabetical List of Databases.
- Academic Search Premier
- This EbscoHost database covers nearly all academic areas of study including social sciences, humanities, education, computer sciences, engineering, language & linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences, and ethnic studies, etc. It provides indexing and abstracts for nearly 3,930 scholarly journals (many dating back to 1984) with full-text available for over 2,940 scholarly publications.
- LEXIS-NEXIS Academic
- An excellent source for legal, government, political, business, medical, and general information. Includes standard federal and state statutory and case law materials, as well as law reviews and periodicals. Features industry and company financial information and news, statistical profiles of states and countries, and a variety of reference information. Includes many international and US full-text news sources, such as the Bangkok Post, The Times of London, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and the New York Times.