Comprehensive sites |
Business news |
Education/grad school |
Company / industry: Annual reports |
Research & analysis
Regional & U.S.: St. Louis & Missouri |
Federal government |
Comprehensive Business gateways
- BRINT: A Business Researcher's Interests
- Has links to basic tools for company research and business information, as well as an eclectic collection of resources on sometimes hard-to-find topics, e.g. knowledge management, reengineering, etc.
- Yahoo's List on Business and Economy
- Comprehensive and up-to-date source for business and management sites on the Internet.
- Includes headlines, analysis, feature articles, information centers (tools for careers, taxes, etc.), and information on stocks, funds, bonds, and markets.
- CNN and Money magazine provide up-to-date news from the financial markets and the business world.
- PR Newswire
- Excellent source for current press releases on participating companies and selected industries. Some press releases from the past year are also available.
Education and graduate school resources
- Business Majors from About.com (formerly the Mining Co.)
- Links to web resources and articles on topics such as careers, internships, business schools, etc.
- Handy site for finding graduate programs. Search by institution, location worldwide, or type of program (e.g. MBA). Also provides links to ratings, advice on applying for financial aid, career resources, etc.
- Offers sample business and marketing plans, tools for estimating startup costs and producing a plan outline, full-text resource materials, links to related sites, and an "ask the experts" service and answer bank.
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- The Small Business Administration (SBA) provides assistance primarily through its four programmatic functions: financing/venture captial, entrepreneurial development, government contracting/federal procurement and advocacy for small businesses.
Annual report suppliers
- Provides free "instant access to annual reports in their actual format in one single location." Offers company name and ticker searching and browsing by exchange, industry, sector or alphabet.
- Public Register's Annual Report Service
- Easy-to-use source for free annual reports (received by mail).
- An online business directory that lets you search by name or business category, city and state. Includes street-level maps. Advanced searching allows searches to be qualified by zip code, area code, street name, or map location.
- Easy-to-use source for finding individuals and U.S. businesses. Provides name, address, phone number, and map for each listing found.
- "ThomasNet.com is the leading product sourcing and supplier discovery platform for procurement professionals, engineers, plant & facility management personnel, small business owners and other occasional buyers, who are responsible for the sourcing of MRO, OEM and other products/services for their industrial, manufacturing, commercial and institutional businesses." Thomas Register and Thomas Regional are part of ThomasNet.
- Yahoo's List of Companies
- Groups companies by broad subject categories (e.g. aviation, agriculture).
Research and analysis
- Brill's Mutual Funds Interactive
- Convenient list of links to current news sources. Has feature articles on current topics, profiles of fund managers, and analysis from fund experts.
- Global Markets News | Reuters.com
- Link to free news and financials. Under the News & Markets tab, search for company financial snapshot reports under the "stocks" link. Especially useful is a ratio analysis and comparison within an industry. Subscribers get additional services and investment reports are offered for sale.
- Hoover's Online
- Users can access some of the features for free, including the corporate directory, quotes and earnings, links to corporate Web sites, current news, feature articles on a selected industry, bestselling business books, and various well-known rankings (e.g. Fortune 500).
- Well-known source for information on and analysis of mutual funds, stocks, and variable-annuities. Users currently registered at Webster University have access to the full database via the Articles / databases link on the library homepage
- Wall Street Research Net
- Research a company or mutual fund for links to financial data, news, home pages, annual reports, and stock data. Some links are to fee-based services. Additional sections cover economic research and government data sources.
- Yahoo! Finance Company and Fund Index
- Good source for company profiles on public companies, with information on news, financial statistics and ratios, stock charts, etc. Also has links to other net-based financial sources as well as recent filings in the Edgar database from the Securities and Exchange Commission.
St. Louis & Missouri
- Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
- Provides news concerning the organization's activities, economic news and data, selected publications such as The Regional Economist, etc.
- MissouriBusiness.net: Missouri Business Development Program
- Compiled by the University of Missouri, this site is a gateway to Missouri business, procurement, technology, career retraining and environmental resources. The Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Centers (SBTDC) offers counseling to help "small businesses get started, develop and thrive". The online Business Resource Library offers help on start-up, management, finance/recordkeeping, industry analysis and more.
- Missouri Dept. of Economic Development
- Has links to city home pages, entertainment, culture, business, job opening and tourism sites. Also visit the Missouri State Government Home Page. For statistical and census information, visit OSEDA (Office of Social & Economic Data Analysis)
- St. Louis Business Journal
- Includes current news and profiles of area businesses, calendar of events, special features, book reviews, and industry news.
- Provides links to federal agencies which produce statistics of interest to the public.
- FedWorld Information Network
- Links to government web servers, telnet sites, and bulletin boards. Aims to provide a single source for locating and ordering government information.
- GPO Access
- Search the full text of major government publications, such as the Federal Register, Congressional Record, bills, and the U.S. Code.
- Liber8: An Economic Information Portal for Librarians and Students
- This portal created by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Library links to economic information from the Federal Reserve System, government agencies, and international economic data sources.
- NAICS Online: North American Industry Classification System
- Information on the new NAICS codes which are replacing the SIC codes for industry statistics. See especially the NAICS and SIC correspondence tables at http://www.census.gov/epcd/www/naicstab.htm
- Status and full text of bills before Congress, access to the Congressional Record.
- The U.S. government's official web portal.
Selected government agencies/departments
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Department of Commerce
- Internal Revenue Service
- SEC/Edgar (Securities & Exchange Commission)
- U.S. Census Bureau
Related subject Web sites:
Article / databases: