The decision to build a library on Webster's campus was made in the 1990s. The administration desired a central location not only for the library's collections but also as a common meeting place for intellectual life on campus. With its Cyber Café, Library Conference room, group study rooms, Listening/viewing area, eCommons, and Faculty Development Center, this goal has been successfully achieved.
Facts and dates
- Architects: Perry Dean Rogers | Partners Architects, Boston, MA
- Interior Design: Spellman Brady & Company, St. Louis, MO
- Plaza Design: CYLA Design Associates, Oak Park, IL
- Contractor: Paric Corporation in association with Kwame Building Group, Inc., St. Louis, MO
- Emerson Library is named for the Emerson Electric Co.
- Groundbreaking: October 30, 2001
- Book Chain: June 30, 2003
- Open: July 1, 2003
- Dedication: September 22, 2003
- 490 tons of steel
- 13 million lbs of concrete
- 95,000 bricks
- 9,000 sq. ft. of glass
- 32 miles of wiring
- 750 data connections
- 35,000 linear ft. of shelving
Total project cost including construction, equipment, furniture and plaza: $21 million
Funded, in part, through the New Traditions Campaign.
- Square feet: 71, 500
- Floors: 5
- Seating: over 700
- Size of collection: over 285,000 books, periodicals, videos, and other media