|Historical dates pre 1920|
- 1898: The purchase of the Benjamin Webster estate on Lockwood Avenue in Webster Groves and the opening of a boarding school for girls by the Sisters of Loretto were the initial steps toward the formation of Loretto College (now Webster University), one of the first Catholic colleges for women west of the Mississippi River.
- 1915: Loretto College opened September 8. Classes were held at the Loretto Academy in Kansas City while the St. Louis campus was under construction.
- 1915: Excavation began on September 8 for the Loretto College Building (subsequently known as the Administration Building, and later Webster Hall).
- 1916: Mother M. Dolorine Powers became the first President of Webster College.
- 1916: Loretto College opened in St. Louis on September 13 with two freshmen and three sophomores.
- 1919: Florence Waddock became the first student to graduate from the college.
- 1919: Mother M. Edith Loughran became President of Webster College, succeeding Mother Dolorine.
- 1919: Two French students enrolled, marking the start of the College‘s commitment to