Webster/Nerinx Gymnasium | Webster University

Webster/Nerinx Gymnasium

A black and white photo of the Nerinx Gymnasium, a two-story brick structure with a curved roof.

Groundbreaking: October 27, 1946


Opened: 1947


Dedication: February 29, 1948


Destroyed by fire: 1984

 

The gymnasium pictured here was shared by Webster University and Nerinx Hall for many years. It replaced Webster's first athletic building, Idle Hour, and was used by Webster until the university began leasing the Plymouth Building in the 1980s.

 

Located on the grounds of Nerinx Hall, the gymnasium caught on fire in December 1984.

 

References

All Loretto Day marks start of new gymnasium. (1946, October 17). The Web, vol. 23, no. 1, p. 1.


Ground breaking on Loretto Day marks start of new gymnasium. (1946, October 31). The Web, vol. 23,, no. 2, p. 1.


New gym to be dedicated Sunday. (1948, February 27). The Web, vol. 24, no. 7, p. 1.


Spirit rising from ashes. (1985, Spring). Loretto Magazine, vol. 26, no. 2.