Ground broken: November 1, 1927
Opened: September 20, 1928
Public reception: February 17, 1929
Approximate cost: $300,000
Architect: Henry P. Hess
Loretto Hall was designed to house about 200 girls and a dozen nuns. Just inside the front entrance was a large lobby with smaller half-enclosed parlors on either side. A cafeteria was located on the ground floor as well as lockers for the commuter students and a recreation area.
A month after opening in September, 1928, the student newspaper ran an article which described the building's features, including the kitchenettes found on each floor: "The kitchen is large enough for two or three girls to make fudge and other dainties, while a sink, kitchen cabinet, gas stove, and tableall in the newest greengive the comforts of home." ("New Loretto Hall attractive in many features", p. 1).
Loretto Hall was closed from the summer of 1998 until the school year began in August 1999 and renovations were made to many of the student rooms. In October 2000, the student newspaper reported that part of the building would be transformed into office space (Piriankov, 2000). A number of offices moved into Loretto Hall in the first part of the decade. The building continued to function partially as a dormitory until the East and West Halls opened in 2006.
Dillard, Edana. (2008, October 30-November 5). Loretto Hall to undergo demolition. The Journal, vol. 62, no. 8, p. 2.
Gurley, Bill, & Quigley, Katy. (1974, April 15). Renovation is possible for Loretto Hall. The Broadside, vol. 4, no. 22, p. 1.
Hansen, Jamie L. (2002, November 14-20). New Loretto offices filling. The Journal, vol. 52, no. 11, p. 2.
Hansen, Jamie L. (2002, September 26-October 2). Staff eager to settle into new offices. The Journal, vol. 52, no. 5, p. 1,3.
Kiley, Gabe. (1998, October 1). Loretto Hall closed for 98-99, future plans remain uncertain. The Journal, vol. 44, no. 5, p. 2.
Kranz, Tammy. (2001, February 1-7). Goodbye, Loretto Hall. The Journal, vol. 49, no. 2, p. 12.
Kranz, Tammy. (2001, January 25-31). Renovations to continue until August. The Journal, vol. 49, no. 1, p. 1-2.
Loretto Hall formally opened to the public at mammoth reception. (1929, February 27). The Web, vol. 5, no. 8, p. 1-2.
"Loretto Hall" will be name of new building. (1928, March 27). The Web, vol. 4, no. 8, p. 1 Muzslay, Leigh. (1999, August 26-September 1). Loretto Hall dorm barely opens on time for residents. The Journal, vol. 46, no. 1, p. 1,4.
Myers, Karen. (2010, January 18-February 3). Admissions offices will move to Loretto Hall. The Journal, vol. 63, no. 18, p. 1.
New Loretto Hall attractive in many features. (1928, October 17). The Web, vol. 5, no. 1, p. 1,4.
New residence hall ground broken Nov. 1. (1927, November 15). The Web, vol. 4, no. 1, p. 1.
Piriankov, Nencho. (2000, October 12-25). Loretto Hall to become office space in 2001. The Journal, vol. 48, no. 8, p. 3.
Public invited to inspect the college buildings. (1929, February 13). The Web, vol. 5, no. 7, p. 1.
Residence hall will contain rooms for about 190 students. (1928, February 9). The Web, vol. 4, no. 5, p. 1.
Saxton, Jennifer. (1999, March 25-31). Loretto Hall prepares for future development. The Journal, vol. 45, no. 9, p. 1,4.
Shackford, Scott. (1997, January 30). This old dorm. The Journal, vol. 41, no. 2, p. 4.