Book Chain to Webster University's Emerson Library
From 1969-2003, Webster University and Eden Theological Seminary shared the Luhr Building on the Eden campus. With Webster's new Emerson Library due to open July 1, 2003, the university hired professional movers to pack and transport collections as well as fixtures, office supplies, etc. to the new building over a period of weeks.
The last 100 books were moved on June 30, 2003 via a book chain involving members of the Webster, Eden, and local communities. Below are some photographs from the event (click on a photograph for a larger view).
The last 100 books waiting to be moved; the final book was A gentle madness: bibliophiles, bibliomanes, and the eternal passion for books by Nicholas A. Basbanes.
Allen Mueller, Eden's Library Director, hands the books to start the book chain.
Start of the book chain outside of the Luhr Library.
Participants were supplied with t-shirts and water.
Sr. Mary Mangan, S.L., a 1935 graduate and Professor Emeritus at Webster, joined in the fun.
Local children helped with the book chain.
Facilities personnel brought the books across the street using shopping carts.
Book chain stretching up the driveway toward Loretto Hall.
Participants waited patiently in front of the new library for the books to make their way from the Eden campus.
Webster University President Richard Meyers waits for the last book by the shelves in the new library.